BROWN CIVIL ENGINEERING GROUP, INC. dba BROWN CIVIL ENGINEERING is a Colorado corporation that provides professional engineering and land surveying services to clients throughout the Rocky Mountain and Midwest regions. Brown Civil Engineering has been awarded multiple business certifications including Minority/Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE) and Small Business Enterprise (SBE) with the City and County of Denver and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) with the Denver and the State of Colorado, Certification # 8382.
Our company history began in 1999, when Margaret J. Brown, P.E., a civil engineer, launched the civil engineering branch, as Principal-In-Charge of Civil Engineering, of our precursor Ehrhart Griffin & Associates, Inc. in Erie, Colorado. Margaret had been performing civil engineering design services for Colorado based projects with Ehrhart Griffin & Associates, Inc. since 1993. In 2007, the Omaha partners withdrew their presence from Colorado, and Brown Civil Engineering was formed. With Margaret Brown as President, the entire civil engineering team and support staff joined her at Brown Civil Engineering.
The firm has a diversified range of experience including planning, site development, LEED based design for certifications, site grading, street and roadway layout and design, parking arrangements for on-grade and structural configurations, storm and sanitary sewer analysis and design, storm water drainage studies, detention facilities, soil erosion control installations, trail networks, recreational facilities, HEC2 analysis for river flow and bridge design, potable water system and well design, elevated potable water storage tank design, sanitary sewer and storm sewer lift station design, and miscellaneous utility relocations. Many of these projects have involved a full range of design, bidding, contract administration and construction observation services.
- Best Project – ENR (2012) McGraw Hill, Smith Hall Addition & Renovation, CU Boulder
- Building of America Award – Real Estate & Construction Review (2008) 720 Simms Additions and Renovations, Lakewood, Colorado
- Building of America Award – Real Estate & Construction Review (2007) Colorado Academy Campus Center Dining Hall, Lakewood, Colorado
Our core philosophy is focused on service, with each project coordinated by the principal of Brown Civil Engineering who works directly with the client to determine the scope of services required, and how we can best help in achieving the client's particular goals. We find our skills being requested at various stages of project development including planning, public involvement, design and construction related services. Our years of experience in value engineering lead to appropriate scheme and material selections for each individual project. Recognizing the unique problems of each assignment is, we have found, the key element in the company's philosophy of comprehensive service.
LAND SURVEYING PARTNERSHIPS
Brown Civil Engineering has solid land surveying partnering relationships that allow us to provide full land surveying services for any project, as may be required. Land surveying services offered through our partners include boundary surveys, topographic surveys, ALTA, Improvement Location Certificates, property subdivision surveys, Global Positioning System (GPS) surveys, aerial photography control surveys and construction layout services.
Our client base is as diverse as the services we offer, ranging from single family residents to large commercial contracts and municipalities. Clients include:
- Adams Twelve Five Star Schools, CO
- Aims Community College, Greeley, CO
- City and County of Denver
- City of Lafayette, CO
- Denver Public Schools, CO
- Habitat For Humanity
- Morgan Community College, Fort Morgan, CO
- Northeastern Community College, Sterling, CO
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Town of Erie, CO
- University of Colorado - Boulder, CO
- Weld RE-4 School District
The firm utilizes Autodesk Civil 3D 2013 engineering software for its CADD system. This selection conforms to majority of other such users in our field, providing our clients with a versatile yet standardized final product.
- Windows 7 Work Stations with a High Speed Internet Connection; Web and FTP sites
- Word Processing and Spreadsheet Software using Office 2010 software
- Computer Aided Drafting and Design is completed using Civil 3D 2013 on a daily basis.
- Urban Catchment Hydrologic Analysis is accomplished using HEC-1, UDSWM-PC and CUHP, current versions.
- Water Surface Profile Analysis for Open Channels is accomplished using HEC-2 and HEC-RAS, current versions.
- Water Pressure System Analysis is accomplished using WaterCAD Version 8 and EPANET
- Sanitary Sewer Force Main Analysis is accomplished using WaterCAD Version 8 and EPANET
- Storm Sewer Hydrologic and Hydraulic Engineering Programs include Haestad Methods, HY8, Urban Drainage & Flood Control District spreadsheets, & Autodesk Storm and Sanitary Analysis 2013.
- Vehicle Movements are analyzed using AutoTurn.
Brown Civil Engineering is fully insured, maintaining errors and omissions, general liability and worker’s compensation insurance.